Greg KH wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 07:25:21PM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:
> > So, if we get the HCDs to share a lot of code in the 2.5 tree and
> > backport that to 2.4, then you would be up for adding that to the
> > 2.2 backport?  I imagine backporting to 2.2 will be more difficult
> > than the 2.4 backport (presuming that the HCD code sharing stuff
> > happens in the 2.5 tree first).
>
> Sure, I'll do it if I get the time :)
>
> Also backporting the HCD code has gotten a lot more difficult due to the
> new pci interface that the drivers have been switched over to recently.
> Not impossible, just not as easy as it used to be.

Well, it seems pretty clear that we'll be encouraging users
and distributions who want to get really good general USB
support to be using at least 2.4.x, anyhow.  I was just concerned
since 2.2.x will have a larger installed base than 2.4.x for at
least another year (my guess).  That means that any good stuff
we can push down into the 2.2.x kernel will make a big difference
for users who have locked into the older stable kernel.

        Miles