Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 16:58:14 -0500
   From: Chris Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   I've been doing some more exploration and have found that the
   performance problem I've been seeing seems to have to do with the
   way the hardware is initialized.  I'm currently using 2.4.18 with
   the RML preemption patch, and if I boot right into this I get the
   slow performance.  If instead I boot into a fairly vanilla 2.4.17
   kernel, then reboot into the 2.4.18+preempt kernel, I get fast
   performance.  I'm running tests right now to narrow this down and
   figure out if it's 2.4.18 or the preempt patch that's causing the
   trouble.  But if this sounds familiar to anyone, please holler.

I've done some more tests, and here are the results.  All of these
tests were performed on an HP OmniBook 500 laptop, which has an "Intel
Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)" controller, and runs Debian
unstable.  In all cases I've used the UHCI ALT (JE) driver.  In all
cases I was communicating through usbdevfs to a Creative NOMAD II MG
MP3 player.

I tried several different kernels, including vanilla 2.4.17, vanilla
2.4.18 (with and without USB debug enabled), and 2.4.18 with the
preemption patch (preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.18-1.patch).  The results
were, well, strange.

* After doing a cold boot from power off, all kernels consistently
  behaved the same, providing slow transfer rates of about 55 kB/s.

* After rebooting from 2.4.17 to 2.4.18, or from 2.4.18 to 2.4.17,
  performance usually increased to about 330 kB/s (530 kB/s for large
  bulk transfers).  But not always; sometimes additional reboots were
  required.  This result is independent of the preemption patch and
  USB debug support.  Also, I see no visible differences in the USB
  debug output between slow and fast states; in all cases the device
  is reported as a 12 Mb/s device.

* Doing a cold boot into 2.4.17 and rebooting to 2.4.17 did not affect
  performance; it was slow both before and after the reboot.  Likewise
  for 2.4.18, independent of the preemption patch.

I don't know how to interpret this.  I'm going to do some more tests
using the other UHCI driver and see what happens.  But I've been
avoiding that driver on Greg's advice due to problems communicating
with my Visor.

My knowledge of the USB subsystem is sketchy at best.  But I'd like to
figure out what is going on and get it fixed, if possible.  Any help
you can offer would be appreciated.

Chris