On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 09:30:28AM -0600, Luke Hutchison wrote:
> I have just found a few other reports of the MS Intellimouse Explorer
> Optical USB hanging the uhci driver in Linux:
>
>   http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=39
>   (See comments on 2002-01-16 22:30:50)

"it starts locking up for about half a second to a few seconds at a time."

This is the usually EMI-problem ("sparking" switches, etc). Sporadically
disconnected by the hub and then reconnected. No mouse for a few seconds,
but it should work again. Blame the hub hardware designers for that. I have
a hub where even the connection of an unloaded cable with the hub's port
shielding causes the disconnection of all devices on the hub...

>   http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=6
>   (See comments on 2000-09-06 11:31 and 2000-06-01 18:35:29)

"but under SuSE Linux 6.4 (Kernel 2.2.14) the USB system seems to hang the mouse"

Stoneage, could be anything, neither usb-uhci nor uhci existed in those
days.

>   http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=219
>   (See comments on 2001-01-16 10:36:36)

"just have to detach and reattach it after a suspend sometimes"

Could be a power management problem (kernel 2.2.18) and/or a too small hub
delay after power on. There's a more forgiving device detection in the
latest kernels that should fix these timeouts.

So those quotes don't tell too much about your problem. Usually 99% of all
problems in USB show the same symptoms: Device doesn't work...
--
         Georg Acher, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         http://www.in.tum.de/~acher/