> Add ehci-0613 and send the logs + sysfs output on 2.5 ... the
> diagnostic info in sysfs changed slightly, it should show a
> few things that weren't previously visible.

OK, I've run ehci-0613 on top of 2.5.70-bk9. This is with a VIA EHCI
(PCI device ID 0x8080, unknown to the kernel). The USB drive uses the
Genesys chip and is plugged directly into the host.

The sd_mod module is loaded automatically on boot. I find that when
sd_mod is loaded at the time the USB drive is plugged in, the kernel
doesn't find the partition table (fdisk claims it's blank), and any
attempt to unload sd_mod segfaults. I had to unload the module before
plugging the disk in to make things work.

The output is copied from /var/log/kern.log (on Debian "sid"), the
section where the USB stuff starts. There was no further log output
for at least 10 minutes after this. The ehci.tar is a tarball of the
sysfs directory relating to the EHCI host controller, the filename
contains the timestamp in HHMMSS format.

After mounting (which went fine), and listing a few directories, the
command

  md5sum *.png > md5sums

was entered. When the problem occurred, the system load climbed
continuously to 5 and has stayed there since, top says the CPU spends
all its time in IO-wait mode.

Hope this makes sense,

  Andras

Major Andras