Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Ruud Linders wrote:

I tried the patch but it doesn't work for me using an USB-2 Memory stick
"DiskonKey" on an USB-2 port (with uhci_hcd & ehci_hcd loaded).

After a 3 minute time-out I get
    "SCSI device sda: drive cache: write through"
and the device starts working just fine.

Is this different from a plain kernel _without_ the patch?

No difference.

Unloading the ehci_hcd module doesn't make any difference.
Only when ripping out the whole mode-sense call it works immediately :-)
so it appears the device is just unhappy about the sd_do_mode_sense.

Yes, I think we might want to mark USB devices as being write-through by default. That said, I think the patch is still better than what we have now (which just doesn't make any sense at all).

Fully agree here, 2.4.2x doesn't appear to do this mode_sense checking and works with all the usb-mass-storage devices I tried.

Linus

_
Ruud