> So how does one use EHCI on an 8111, if the BIOS disables
> it anyway when needed?
> E.g., on an IBM IntelliStation A Pro Type 6224?

There's a bit somewhere in the southbridge (sorry would need
to look it up in the datasheet and you can do that as well yourself ;-)

If you set that bit before the PCI device scan in the kernel
(or afterwards and force a rescan) the PCI-ID magically appears.
Doing it before it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem, I used
the early PCI code in x86-64 (include/asm-x86_64/pci-direct.h)
for this.

Ok and now you have to comment out this nasty check in the driver
of course.

I had a patch for this, but I can't find it right noiw.

-Andi