On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Alan Stern <stern <at> rowland.harvard.edu> writes:
> > In fact, it's possible that these problems are caused by bad USB cable
> > connections.  They certainly could result in intermittent disconnects.
>
> We tried two factory new cables that came with the two Palm 700p devices.
> Also, once I modified the kernel (as suggested by Oliver) the issues went
> away. So I'd be hesitant to blame the cable.
>
> > Is it possible that the changes in behavior you see are caused by changes
> > in visor.c or pilot-xfer rather than by anything in the USB stack?  The
> > log does give the impression that the Treo has difficulty with some of the
> > commands it receives.  For instance, it died when it received this
> > vendor-specific control-IN command: c2 02 0000 0000 0012.  But it died at
> > other times too.
>
> Well that's why I was hoping that the usb kernel hacker crowd would be in a
> position to help.  What would be the next step?

>From your earlier comments, it's not entirely clear that turning off
CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND really does solve the problem.  You said that even then
the device didn't work all the time.

Try doing this: Use a kernel with CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND and CONFIG_USB_DEBUG
turned on.  Before plugging in the Treo, do "rmmod ohci-hcd".  Then clear
the kernel log buffer by doing "dmesg -c >/dev/null", plug in the device,
and do "modprobe ohci-hcd".  Post the resulting dmesg log so we can see
what happens.

Just for kicks, try doing exactly the same experiment over again, this
time with a kernel that doesn't have CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND but is otherwise
identical.  The two dmesg logs shouldn't show any significant differences.