Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> I have tried other mice with this PC.  I have an old MS optical
>> Intellimouse (the second worst mouse I've ever used), and a newer
>> revision of the problematic Logitech BD-58, a BT-58.  Both other mice
>> work without issue.  I've also tried the BD-58 in several other PCs,
>> running the same kernels.  Only this mouse, in this PC, with this
>> specific kernel configuration manifests the problem.
>
> That sounds like a hardware problem to me.

OK.  It still bothers me that only a preemptible kernel would be able to
see this hardware problem.  I don't know why that should be.

>>> What about if you turn on preemption but not preempt-BKL (shooting in the
>>> dark)?
>> I don't know, but I'll give it a shot.

No, it still has problems if I disable the preempt-BKL option.

>>> Do you think the errors are correlated with, say, disk activity?
>> I'll try watching iostat and usbmon output at the same time and see if
>> anything looks suspicious.
>
> My thought was that some other sort of electrical activity on the
> motherboard might interfere with the USB signals.  Disk activity was just
> a guess; it could be anything.

I've tried killing off all of the active processes but sshd.  The only
thing that stops the errors is killing gpm and Xorg.  I guess it's not
surprising that if no processes have /dev/input/mice open, then there's
nothing printed by usbmon?

I did notice that when gpm opens the device, this appears in usbmon:

f7c9b840 3783825882 C Ii:003:01 -2 0
f7c9b840 3806163653 S Ii:003:01 -115 4 <

And when it closes the device:

f7c9b840 3808386058 C Ii:003:01 -2 0

Those are normal, presumably?

I'll probably try logging in locally just to see, but even when there's
no disk activity, and gpm is nearly the last userspace process running,
the I/O errors continue at more or less the same interval.