Quoting Matthew Carr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> That said however, even if I can start getting a few linux boxes
> installed here or there working well on our network with interest
> kindled with interested people in the right places at least a start can
> be made

Here in Chem there at at least 2 linux workstations (My one and my other one that is
used by my collegues) But we have the advantage of having our own linux mail and print
server as well (Seperate from IT).

There are also other boxen running linux in the department, and early next year there
should hopefully be another 4 or 5 in the labs for running experiments.

There is a linux box monitoring the Nitrogen flow for the department,
http://nitrogen.chem.canterbury.ac.nz/

and a webcam - very similar design to Chris's one at
http://brycecam.chem.canterbury.ac.nz/

Note: the above two sites are only accessable from on campus.

These are not all desktop PC's but are a start to introducing linux to end users.

Mike.

!!!! Linux Rocks !!!!