First off, get Mandrake 9.1....it's miles ahead of 9.0. As far as "giving back" the 1 GB partition to Winders, well, there are many ways but perhaps the easiest is to delete that partition with partition magic and either a)format it as fat32, essentially giving you 2 winders partitions, the second Winders will see as d: or b) expand the winders partition to take up the newly deleted space.

If you don't want to use partition magic then just fdisk the partition from within winders.

Once you've done that, just install Linux on the new HDD, using LILO as your bootloader and all will be hunky dory. You could even just install Linux on the new drive and handle all the partitioning during install (including the winders partition deletion/resizing) using Mandrakes diskdrake (this is the option I'd use as it's quick, clean and simple).

Other than that, you really do only need the 3 partitions, root/swap/home on the new drive.

Regards,

Jason

Chris Downie wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have taken advise and will now pester the list for help. My long term goal is to be MS free, my short term goal is to go longer than 25 days without a BSOD (or equivalent). I'm afraid I can't impress you with a flash system, all I have to play with is a Cyrix 233MMX, 224Mb and 4.3Gb. I took Jason's advise at the installfest and got another HDD for Linux (the aforementioned 4.3Gb). I have previously being running Mandrake 8.0 and 9.0 on a 1Gb partition with Win2k on the primary HDD.

I wish to start from scratch again on the new HDD. Please assume I have a very basic understanding of Linux.

So my first two questions are:

How do I give back the 1Gb partition to Windows?

Other than root, swap and home, should I have any other directory on a seperate partition?

Cheers,
Chris