>How do I give back the 1Gb partition to Windows?

run the windows version of fdisk (FDISK.EXE ?)
using win-fdisk, delete the 1Gb partition and in the free space create a new
partition. Hopefully windows is clever enough to detect an unformated windows
partition and offer to format it next time you reboot.

Otherwise,
C:>format d:
assuming that the partition that win-fdisk creates is assigned as d: next time
you reboot.

Disclaimer: It's a long time since I've done this sort of thing in windows.
The above would have worked in ms-dos+windows 3.1

yuri