On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:57, you wrote:
> Forget Gentoo IMHO, unless you are very patient and very skilled.

I'm neither, yet I find that Gentoo gives me everything I need from a Linux
install. Now that Gentoo has all the popular application programs available
in binary form, and the genkernel script to build the kernel for you, the
only skill needed is the ability to read and understand the install
instructions at:-

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml

These instructions are somewhat longwinded, but do explain in excruciating
detail what you have to do. Just follow them and you will end up with a
Gentoo Linux installed.

The patience needed is that required to go and have lunch while the kernel and
modules are built for you.

Installing or updating a package is as simple as typing/writing:-
emerge package-name
at a console. I maintain that if you cannot do that then you would not be able
to use the package anyway and really should not be let loose anywhere near a
computer in the first place.

--
Sincerely etc.,
Christopher Sawtell