On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:15:42 +1200
CF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 07:46, Terry Cole wrote:
> > With all the MS problems/virus as well as Exchange problems I have been
> > having..
>
> Others can comment on the rest, but since I have an exchange server here
> and probably most of the problems you've had, I'll comment here.
>
> Exchange is a festering heap of fertilliser.  There is no way to move
> all the existing mail from ES to any other mailserver other than
> forwarding all email manually.

talking email here, not other functionality, you can write a script to
transfer mails from server a to server b. most scripting languages have
hooks to imap, so you write a script to connnect to exchange server via
imap, read each mail for each user, and transfer it to that user's
account on server b (running any imap server). Not trivial, not
impossible. see discussion here:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/chapter/index.html

the other solution would be a real drag for a situation with a lot of
users, but I have done it here for two or three users when migrating
from uw iamp to cyrus on different servers.

get a client that allows more than one imap account. set up old_account
(pointing to imap mail on exchange server) and new_account (to imap
account on new open source server). Sit at client computer and drag and
drop folder contents from one server to the other. tedious but effective.
amazing how much redundant stuff you delete :-). you have to manually
create the new folders (although there is discussion on a possibly
better way in the oreilly link above). creates a lot of network traffic
:-(

> We have made a partial change - I run squirrelmail on the webserver
> (linux) which is a webmail/imap gateway, and that runs fairly well.
>
> Users will loose all the calendaring/schedualling/addressbook components
> of exchange server too, when you change to something else.

if the situation is clients on outlook/windows and server on !(exchange
server) then you can get outlook connector, it costs, but that may be
less than the exchange server licence. This solution will allow you to
store outlook style conacts and calendars on any imap server with acl
support. (cyrus does).

http://www.bynari.net/index.php?id=7

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>