Ah, after reading Mike's post I see that I am confusing devfs and devfsd (the
devfs daemon). But the conclusion is the same; something that makes /dev/hda8
exist isn't getting started.

Perhaps another thing you could try would be (when dropped to a shell during
boot failure) to see if the long/proper name of the device exists. Poke
around in /dev, see if there's anything in there. Look for something like:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part8
or similar. (I got that from my gentoo laptop; looks like I do have devfs
after all, lol! I just never bothered to look as it's not my main machine).
Obviously some of the numbers may be different.

Anyhow, if you could still access that then you could point fsck at that
directly. Or mount. Or anything you do manually. Or you could try creating a
symlink /dev/hda8 that points to it. If you can get your filesystem mounted,
then you can go fix whatever's breaking devfsd (looks to be console.perms, so
a good idea would be to reverse the change you made the other day and see
what happens ;-)

Good luck.

Cheers,
Gareth