There is an different view on this in that some countries make it harder to "steal" someones "identity" than others.

Here in NZ a database writer is not allowed by law to use their customers IRD number as a key into their database.

Even if they have a legitimate use for that I.R.D. number they are not allowed to use that information for anything other than what they collected it for.

This is one of NZs privacy law consequences. And I believe it is a good one. It means that if some baddie gets one of my "identity numbers"
they haven't got my identity.

Jason Greenwood wrote:
I agree 100% and to take it one step further, what if the same standard applied to OSS? Then who'd get sued, the poor college hacker who wrote the program? What is there is no 'company' behind the software. Ridiculous. Vote with your feet and wallet people, period. Litigious americans annoy me...there are better ways to solve problems (Sorry Nick=).

Cheers

Jason

-- Zane Gilmore, Analyst / Programmer Information Services Section, Information Technology Dept, University of Canterbury - Te Whare Waananga o Waitaha Private Bag 4800, Christchurch New Zealand Phone +64-3-364 2987 extn 7895