On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:14:22 +1300
Zane Gilmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There is an different view on this in that some countries make it harder
> to "steal" someones "identity" than others.
>
> Here in NZ a database writer is not allowed by law to use their
> customers IRD number as a key into their database.
>
> Even if they have a legitimate use for that I.R.D. number they are not
> allowed to use that information for anything other than what they
> collected it for.
>
> This is one of NZs privacy law consequences. And I believe it is a good
> one. It means that if some baddie gets one of my "identity numbers"
> they haven't got my identity.

yes but they are allowed to store it in their database.

I hold a number of client's ird numbers. for example when i put their
funds on bank deposit, the bank needs to know the ird number, so
resident withholding tax is deducted at the correct rate. I need to tell
that to the bank, so the client needs to have told me.

I don't keep these numbers in my head. I store them in a database. the
database has a specific field for it. I don't have a clue whether this
fied is indexed, as i didn't write the database (which is part of an
accounting/practice management system)

it is reasonable to have privacy laws. it is easy to bend them. an
"agency" can use the information for the purpose for which it was
obtained. make that purpose wide enough and you can make wider use of
the information. *

* lawyers have tighter rules of client confidentiality than imposed by
the privacy act anyway. these rules have always been in place.

OT now i think :-)

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>