At 2004-06-30T120718+1200, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:00:16 +1200
> Phill Coxon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Now that I'm aware it's not just me, I may take up your suggestion and
> > drop Nvidia support an email.

> Phil. although it is not annoying you, I wonder if a step may have been
> omitted. I say this only for the sake of completeness before you contact
> nVidia.

It's also possible that the wrong file has been updated.

The NVIDIA FAQ advises users to add the module alias line to
/etc/modules.conf.  With the 2.6 kernel and module-init-tools, the
correct file to update is /etc/modprobe.conf.  Not only that, but with
most distributions, it is wrong to directly edit these files, and the
distribution-specific method of updating should be used.

In addition to this, NVIDIA's advice is incorrect or incomplete for
devfs and udev users.

I've already sent NVIDIA an email advising them of this, but I don't
expect an updated version of the FAQ to appear until they release a new
driver, since the FAQ is unfortunately part of the driver release.

Cheers,
-mjg
--
Matthew Gregan                     |/