At 2004-06-29T163939+0100, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> >It boots just fine but fails to find the custom nvidia video driver
> >and X fails, returning back to the login prompt.
> >
> >I have to modprobe the video driver each time before I can start X.

> I had this same issue...it seems to stem from the kernel deciding that
> the nvidia kernel module is 'tainted'. Putting a 'modprobe nvidia'
> into /etc/rc.local, or putting 'nvidia' into /etc/modules usually will
> fix that, but my system boots so quick that /etc/init.d/dm starts X
> before the modprobe is given a chance to happen...without the kernel
> driver X will not boot, and drop you back to a console...

> I fixed it by putting 'modprobe nvidia' into the start of
> /etc/init.d/dm

Hacktastic.

The correct fix for this is covered in the documentation supplied with
the NVIDIA drivers.  Why is it that people do not read the instructions
supplied before wedging large chunks of binary-only code into their
kernel?

Quoting ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-5336/README:

Q: The kernel module does not get loaded dynamically when X starts;
   I always have to do 'modprobe nvidia' first.  What is wrong?

A: Make sure the line "alias char-major-195 nvidia" appears in
   your module configuration file, generally one of "/etc/conf.modules",
   "/etc/modules.conf" or "/etc/modutils/alias"; consult the documentation
   that came with your distribution for details.

Cheers,
-mjg
--
Matthew Gregan                     |/