Nick Rout wrote:
One thing people perhaps have to get used to with open source software
is not only the different programming and distribution models, but the
vastly different support models. You won't just pop into Paper Plus and
buy a "Dummies" book for anything and everything.

"Grokking the GIMP" is in fact that book. It's good, it's in the Chch Public Library, and it's available for free on-line (free beer)!

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
You appear to be unhappy because there is no working point-and-shoot solution for colour temperature. You are very likely right. I have equally not found a working point-and-shoot red-eye reduction, or certainly, none that satisfies me. So I just use the GIMP to do both red-eye and colour correction myself. It isn't difficult.

I would expect a functional "pick white"-type colour correction function
without any question in any decent photo editor. Using the existing
colour correction tools isn't difficult, but somehow the results are not
good. Probably part of it is my fault, but I didn't find a set of
operations which gibe acceptible results, after several tries.

I agree. Better scripts - more point-and-shoot - would certainly help the GIMP a lot.

By the way, I'd also quite like a decent red-eye plug-in, while you're at it.

There's a tutorial on that on gimpguru.org, which at first glance seems
a superb teaching site. However you can't compare a white balance
correction (simple algorithm taking about 2 simple parameters) with red
eye removal (more complicated algorithm with a select-region problem),
which I therefore wouldn't lump under basic functionality. Mightily
handy though if it was there and worked...

I'd really just like a point-and-shoot script that sets up the channels and brushes for the user, so that they can wave the brush over the affected eyes. No need for complete automation. Such a script wouldn't be complicated, but is currently at position #649 on my list of things to do.

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.