On Mon 06 Aug 2007 14:57:45 NZST +1200, Chevhq Car wrote:

> I was personally present when one young fellow, working for a not
> unknown company, politly showed me how he works by just touching his
> hands to the computer case whilst building.
> This was on a hot Nor-west day.
> I didn't feel too sorry for him when he went to explain to his manager
> that the New Custom ordered pc would not boot despite every thing he
> had tried.

Then he didn't do the touching right - believe it or not, that's all
that's necessary electrically speaking. You have to touch the right
things though. Much safer to use a strap though, esp if you're unsure.

I've handled some of my own gear without strap heaps of times and don't
recall a problem. I do get the strap out when it's someone else's gear,
or something new - prevents any arguments.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.