To give advice to an inexperienced person that they don't need static straps while handling computer componentry is IMO absolutely irresponsible.

When handling computer boards and components one should *always* keep themselves grounded or they will risk damaging their hardware.
And for most jobs it is quite difficult to do this without a static strap.

It is true that modern componentry has protection circuit to *minimise* damage, it is just that minimise. It is very difficult for protection circuitry to completely protect delicate digital components.

We should not be advising lack of static precautions to anybody for DIY
computer assembly.

my 2c
Zane

Steve Holdoway wrote:
...not in the last 20 years, no. Just ground yourself on the case before
plugging anything else in.

Steve

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 15:51:08 +1200