I contacted a friend who works for Telecom, and she thinks it will work on their network (as far as she can tell). Telecom's 850MHz network is already up and running in most main centers, so the 850 version should work right now.

I'm seriously tempted to order one.  If only it had a camera too... :-\

David
--
Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

John Carter wrote:
The Open Source / Embedded Linux Open / Hackable Cellphone is on sale now!

I note their 900/1800/1900 Mhz tri band is sold out, but the
850/1800/1900 is still available for $399 or $3690 for packs of 10.

http://www.openmoko.com/product.html

I note Vodafone 900 and 1800 services and Telecom has 850mhz planned.

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_nz.shtml

The telecom site suggests that you'll not be able to use the openmoko on their network...

http://telecom.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/telecom.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=104 http://telecom.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/telecom.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=135

Question 1 to the Group: Do we need to have the 900Mhz version here or
is the 850 preferable because in the longer term it will allow us to
switch to Telecom if we wish?

Question 2 to the Group: Anyone planning on distributing these things in NZ?

Question 3 to the Group: I'm planning on ordering one for myself, and
would be prepared to go for a 10 pack if enough others are
interested. Anybody else interested?

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
New Zealand