On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Roger Searle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I have installed nagios and have it monitoring localhost.  Next I need
> to configure email notifications so it is finally time for me to get my head
> around MTAs, this will also be useful (I hope) for other things such as cron
> notifications etc.  I've followed the nagios quickstart guide at
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/quickstart-ubuntu.html
>
> which at the bottom says install mailx (Postfix) and configure the
> commands.cfg file, which is straight forward by itself.  However I thought
> I'd pause at this point and seek list wisdom on the approach from here.  Is
> postfix actually the "best" package to use?  (no wish to start any wars
> here...)  and if so/not, which, and presumably some further configurations
> are necessary to get some messages going off to my ISP.
>
> Cheers,
> Roger

postfix is a very good choice IMHO. secure, reasonably simple to
configure, good documentation and friendly mailing list.

sendmail - the daddy of 'em all  but not the easiest to configure.
qmail - good reputation and used a lot but written by a "difficult" character.
exim - debian uses as standard, don't really know much about it.