On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Roger Searle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> which at the bottom says install mailx (Postfix) and configure the
> commands.cfg file, which is straight forward by itself.  However I thought
> I'd pause at this point and seek list wisdom on the approach from here.  Is
> postfix actually the "best" package to use?  (no wish to start any wars
> here...)  and if so/not, which, and presumably some further configurations
> are necessary to get some messages going off to my ISP.

Exim has "the best config file" when you want to do interesting
things, but you have to think before modifying it.
Postfix has a "google for the line to add to the config" approach, and
works well.

Don't bother even looking at qmail or sendmail at this stage.

Consider "nullmailer", which just sends everything straight out to
someone elses MTA immediately, which may be good for you. I use it on
all my servers except for the real MTA itself.

-jim