Hi,

I upgraded from Debian etch to lenny over a week ago. Shortly thereafter, my system's display started freezing after a few minutes of use: the only thing that does not get affected is the cursor in X; I couldn't even get to a virtual console. But I could shut it down by pressing the power button (which seems to be equivalent to running "shutdown -h now"). I uninstalled all xorg drivers, except for vesa; this seems to keep my system stable, but I still get the freezing sometimes when I shutdown from within X. (Quick summary of that oddness: *everything* in X freezes, except for the cursor; and I can't do *anything*, not even get to a virtual console, except for shut down (*NOT* a hard reset) by pressing the power button on my box.)

Now things start resembling Steven King's 1408. I installed Antix Mepis, because it describes itself as a distro for old hardware, and I assumed that I had found a bug in the nv xorg driver (I'm using an old (it's for AGP) nVidia card) that would be patched in a distro for old hardware. After going through the installation process and configuring my new system, it froze, just as before, while Synaptic was getting the repository indexes.

So I went back to etch. A *FRESH INSTALLATION* of etch. And it froze... while Synaptic was getting the repository induces.

All of this was much, much more painful than it sounds. I'm *now* using Debian lenny with the vesa driver. I *was* using Debian etch with nVidia's non-free driver, and it was very stable.

Does anybody have any advice? Please? I'm now thinking (after etch froze) that something has happened to my video card. And I'm a little worried that it will get worse.

Oh, yeah, and a while ago when I was using etch, some characters (it looks like it's always the same ones) on the screen during boot time (when it's in plain vga mode) would turn into a vertical bar character (this -> '|'). It still happens, and to more characters than when it started (i.e. it's gotten worse). So, again, taking all of this into consideration, I think my video card is on its way out, and needs to be replaced.

Thanks,
Aidan