What temperatures were you seeing?

Divide and conquer time. System lockups may be occurring because of another component going awry as the system comes up to normal working temperature. Coud be a marginal-seating issue. Check the seating of the PCI cards and all power connectors. Another of the usual suspects is the RAM - are they seated properly? If so run a memtest using a liveCD, e.g. Gentoo-minimal has one. Running up a livecd may also give you some indication of it being a hardware issue or related to the install you have on disk. Also eliminate that the motherboard isn't shorting to the case in some way, e.g. loose screw floating round, dust etc.

Nvidia split their drivers at some point into nvidia-drivers and legacy-drivers. I'm unsure at what point this occurred and which one is for your card.
hmmn - AGP Bus - can we see the output of sudo lspci and cat /proc/cpuinfo

Whats the history on this box and whats on it? Any chance it has been knocked around? Any out-of-package-management / compiled-from-source installs of drivers? Recent BIOS upgrades?

- Euan

Aidan Gauland wrote:
Ok, I've just tried the nv driver with a huge desk fan, on high, pointed at the graphics card heat-sinks. I also tried detaching my system fan from the case and doing the same thing with it. No diffreence; it still freezes after a little while. It's a low-end video card (see attached file for full information), and has no fan to fail. Is there a way to test the card for heat damage (or any kind of subtle damage)?

 And, John, how could the motherboard battery affect the video?

Thanks,
Aidan