Right, here's what I've ruled out (and why)...

* Heat damage
There's no GPU fan, and the heat-sinks are clean.

* Overheating
I've run my machine with a giant fan blowing, on high, across the GPU
heat-sinks.

* Motherboard battery
It's above 3 volts, so it still has a good charge. And I took it out for a few minutes, then put it back in, to reset the cmos.

* Misbehaving system software
I've tried several different distros.  They all freeze.

So that leaves...

* RAM
I'll run a memtest tonight.

* The power supply is not delivering enough power.
Uhhh, right, I'll have to find a working power supply to swap with my current one, if I'm going to rule this one out. Unless someone has a better idea.

* The graphics card is ****ed, and needs to be replaced.
This is looking more and more likely... to me, a programmer who avoids dealing with hardware.

When the hardware goes wonky, the universe in which the software exists ceases to obey its normal, somewhat sane and logical laws. It seems as if I'm working in a universe in which two may sometimes equal one.

Thanks for all the help... so far.  I'm not done yet.
 -Aidan