Hi, I am thinking of making use of "light scribe"
Lightscribe works just fine under Linux with the only downside being
that the software available is fairly basic:

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/linux/index.aspx
seems i strike out due to using a 64bit distro (and synaptic shows no
packages either):

ro...@gemini:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i
lightscribe-1.18.4.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb
dpkg: error processing lightscribe-1.18.4.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb (--install):
package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
lightscribe-1.18.4.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb

is there a way of forcing this or is it just not worth the effort?
Roger

http://www.csamuel.org/2007/11/29/installing-lacie-4l-lightscribe-software-on-amd64-ubuntudebian-systems

the secret seems to be ia32-libs

having already found lightscribe.com mentioned by Phil, and having spent more than the list guideline of 10 minutes searching (or is that 30?), reading reviews and trying myself, then previous experience (and list feedback) of going outside what is available in my distro's package management system, especially those long and ultimately unsolveable efforts to make 32bit things work on 64bit installs, (including prior installation of ia32-libs on this box), supplementing that with requests for list experience seems a reasonable thing to do. I'm glad to report the above link and the one below that it refers to results in a successful installation:

http://www.tekpizza.com/2008/07/install-lightscribe-software-for-amd64.html

"4L-cli enumerate" does not show this particular drive to be one capable of light scribe, I'll be trying the same thing on another box and maybe swapping round drives later today and looking forward to seeing a finished disk. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Cheers,
Roger