On Sun, May 17, 2009 09:00, Phill Coxon wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 11:09 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:

<snip
>> plus theres the hassle of kde's 4 branch still seeming to be unfinished.
>>

> Unfortunately true. I've been testing KUbuntu 9.04 on my laptop to see
> if I want to upgrade my Desktop and things are still crashing at random or
> are completely unusable (kde network manager and a mobile wireless card
> for example).

<snip>

> The main reason I've been using KUbuntu is for sftp: access in konqueror
> so I can copy and edit files on remote sites live.

Well, Mepis is a nice KDE-based distro.  They've added a couple of extra
things to make it usable, and they've avoided the KDE 4.x headaches by
sticking with KDE 3.5.  I am running Mepis 8 on my Acer Aspire One and
it's great.

Adding wicd fixed a lot of pain for me.  I take the netbook to a bunch of
different places, and each one has different network settings.  Some are
DHCP, but some are fixed parameters (and of course they differ from each
other).  The way wicd presents and configures these is intuitive and
obvious.