2009/5/17 Christopher Sawtell <csawt...@gmail.com>:
>> My Kubuntu PPC 8.10 -> 9.04 upgrade locked me out of my Mac G4.
>
> Have you any idea why?

I did not investigate. I only use it to check email and browse the
web, and OS X is still on it, so it is not something I want to spend
much time on, no data I need to save.

I would get a KDE login screen but could not login. Also the screen
locks and slowly goes white when I try to switch to another console,
or log into a text session.

> I am very interested to hear this because it is quite a possibility
> that I will be asked to install a KDE based application on a PPC Mac
> portable.

This is a PowerBook Ti 500 - and it seems to differ from other
PowerBook Ti's - most posts on the Ubuntu PPC forum about PB Ti's
refer to different video cards and some other hardware. Installing was
a pain - mainly because of the graphics. I had to install a text
system then install X and KDE (using the alternate CD). Should not
have set it up to boot into a graphical login. I never got suspend to
disk to work correctly.

I would check for problems with the specific hardware. I always
thought that there was not that much variation with Macs - not as much
as there is in the x86 world, anyway - but there seems to be more than
I thought.

You should really ask if it is worth it. I have been trying 9.04 - and
as soon as I work out one problem, I hit another one. Can't find the
CD I booted off - can't find repositories - can download but not
install software ... etc

All similar - but not quite the same as 8.10 :-(