Steve Holdoway wrote:
On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 07:19 +1200, Jim Cheetham wrote:

SAMSUNG HD753LJ s/n S13UJ1NQB01779 was the one that failed. Failure
was more than "just" the filesystem, I was unable to read or write to
the partition table.

That comment was aimed at Barry, the OP who restored his filesystem
using an alternate superblock and has had no problem since...

I have had no problems since, because I have done nothing with the faulty ptn apart from copying everything on the ptn to a external hd. It has been returned to Dove and I await their response. BTW the drive was a WD1600AAJB. The superblock failed and running 'cp /dev/hda6 /dev/null' reported at least 2 unreadable sectors. It still managed to boot on another ptn after I deleted the faulty 1 from fstab, but with many complaints.

THanks for all the replies

Barry