On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 19:15 +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

> I don't believe this thread goes on for that long. You buy a toaster
> with 1y warranty and after 2 months half of it stops working. Is anyone
> stupid enough to ask whether to return it?!??
>
> Volker

If you go through the possible reasons for the superblock to get
corrupted, then the causes are not limited to a hard disk failure. Apart
from potential hardware issues elsewhere, there's configuration errors -
overlapping partitions, human error - dd of=/dev/sda just for a couple
of examples.

Sure, it's almost certainly a disk failure, but there are other possible
causes. Also, given the uphill fight you often get when not speaking
Microsoft to suppliers, I think this thread is perfectly justified.

As it happens, Dove are a pretty level headed supplier, and I've never
had problems returning failures.

Steve