> This raises two problems: how do I switch window managers within an X session
> (without terminating the X session)?

Kill the window manager process, start a new one. Warning: once killed,
you won't be able to e.g. change input focus any more. Some wms allow to
change wms as a menu option, but the barebones ones you;re after
probably not.

> And what filesystem can I put on my
> memory stick that is more UNIX friendly than FAT, but that does not have the
> ext filesystems' problem of confusing the system that mounts it when moving
> between systems with different UIDs?

UIDs are a fact of Unix, there's no way around. You missed the point
that this has nothing to do with ext. You could try to make all
files/directories writable by everyone. Decent Linux distros will assign
the logged-in users UID as owner to FAT filesystems on removable
storage, again, the no-frills-no-functions wms you're after probably
won't do that.

Have fun,

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.