That is a bad idea to kill the session of either of those DE.  (Desktop
Environment, not just Window Managers)

The problem is (gnome|kde)-session  is the parent that spawns all
sub-processes, including metacity/compiz/etc WM that you want to replace.
Furthermore, the login manager, usualy gdm, spawns the session inside an
xinit process.  So you'll most likely end of up killing your X server and
everything else after login.  What you can do is use "--replace" to
gracefuly replace the WM instead of killing the session.  If your window
manager supports that it of course, but many do.

The recommended way is to change your prefered DE/WM using the gdm.  Look
for the options button on the login screen.  However, I don't know if they
enabled that on their systems.

Cheers,
sV