Different folks wrote :
> Lots of things...

Since you are doing Computer Science and I am doing the rollout :-)
I can tell you a few things

Running Fedora 12, 64bit (only I hope) with as many things as
I can find without loading down the network kickstart install
time..So if there is a  particular useful package I need to add to the
kickstart, let me know. I don't even remove the standard games
coz they are big kids and if they waste their time it is their
choice. Same applies to window managers. I am not going to chase
and compile things so it needs to be on the fedora extras mirror.
If you want to compile your own stuff, you have a reasonable
but limited amount of disk space to do so.

The MINIMUM machine for unix courses is a quad core with 4Gig of
memory and a 22" widescreen. (They dual boot windows)

We don't allow booting from USB or CD/DVD

We do allow laptops and have wired laptop ports in the labs and
power on the top of the benches for running laptopd.
(cables still need to be plugged in ... we are running behind on
quite a few things :-( ) .. Wireless is also available.

There are the University computer policies that we run as
guidelines.... If you do things bad or unethical we beat you with
a big stick(usually meaning the university proctor... serious
stuff for the degree) If you want to do things that don't effect
other users, and improve your learning...
that is what the department wants you to do.

If you find stuff that I've screwed up, it is always nice to
let me know :-)

Pete

Peter Glassenbury                       Computer Science department
p...@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz              University of Canterbury
+64 3 3642987 ext 7762                  New Zealand