On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Bryce Stenberg <br...@hrnz.co.nz> wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a command I can run or file to edit that
> can tell the installer to now put the root file system on /dev/sda5 (the
> logical volume I just formatted) so as the installation can proceed?

With LVM you don't put any filesystem on a physical partition ...

You put LVM "physical volumes" onto partitions, collect sets of PVs
into a larger "volume group", and then allocate different "logical
volumes" from there. You put your ext3 filesystems onto these logical
volumes ...

It all sounds much more complex, there's lots of jargon to get used
to, and on a small machine with only a couple of disks that never
change, it's probably too much overhead to be useful.

But, if the disks ever change ... it will save your life, very quickly :-)

-jim