On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 13:25 +1300, Bryce Stenberg wrote:

> I'm using LVM's for there ability to take almost instant 'snapshots' of
> volumes to then utilize in full backups of the system including live
> databases (after appropriate freezing/blocking of database and flush of
> buffers etc to disk ready for snapshot).
>
> Thanks, Bryce.

I wouldn't do that with the backups personally. If you're after backing
up important production databases, then I'd look at replicating them
( to another machine preferably ) as a frist line of defence. Also
whilst over there, cold backups have no effect on live systems
performance... and no matter how cumbersome they are, I reckon they
should always be a part of your backup strategy (:

Just my $0.02...

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway <st...@greengecko.co.nz>