> From: jim.cheet...@gmail.com [mailto:jim.cheet...@gmail.com] On Behalf
Of
> Sure, but effectively that's what a snapshot is; if a full cold backup
> takes say 1 hour, with LVM snapshotting you can reduce that to a
> couple of seconds. Surely that's worth investigating? If you can grab
> a snapshot that quickly (it'll still take an hour to actually back up
> from there, but the DB doesn't have to know), and your production
> system can handle being read-only for a second or so, you can dispense
> with the need for a replicant in the first place.

I think Jim gets where I'm coming from.  We don't have the budget for
another server for replicant's etc. Any database worth using should be
able to put itself quickly in state suitable for applications external
to it to take a consistent backup, while remaining online. No one
notices a few seconds blocked - we do it hourly for our main production
database (IBM IDS/Informix) and no one notices, this with the daytime
connections sitting between 30 and 60 most week days.

If this linux server does go down, then the users might have to wait an
hour or two (or more?) for recovery - that is acceptable to us, as this
is only going to be used for moodle to help with industry training.

Thanks for all your help and discussion.

Regards,
  Bryce Stenberg.

DISCLAIMER: If you have received this email in error, please notify us
immediately by reply email, facsimile or collect telephone call to +64 3
9641200 and destroy the original.  Please refer to full DISCLAIMER at
http://www.hrnz.co.nz/eDisclaimer.htm