On 9 April 2010 10:07, Steve Holdoway <st...@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> I note that most* of these NAS boxes use xfs, although that is the only
> file system that has completely blown up in my face in the last 10
> years!
>
> Steve
> * OK, I've only seen about half a dozen of them (:

Have to admit that I've heard some bad things about xfs.  But then
again, I've had reiserfs3 (at the time) blow up on me more then once
as well.  Reiserfs seems to shine with lots of small files, perfect
for say gentoo portage trees.  But for larger files, tests I've seen
show that ext4 with the new extents and xfs are much better.  I don't
know much about jfs, so I'll look into it.

Why did you stay away from ext4?  I could see xfs...

Also, did you guys use LVM?  And did you align all four layers?  (md,
pv, lv, fs)

sV