On 9 April 2010 11:07, Craig Falconer <cfalco...@totalteam.co.nz> wrote:

> Nice - I saw somewhere that the likelyhood of losing a second drive
> increases exponentially once one has failed or started erroring.
>
> One way to reduce that risk is to assemble the raid on drives of different
> brands/models or different production runs.  Then again... that seagate
> firmware bug last year affected many models/sizes
>
> --
> Craig Falconer

Good point Craig, also that using linux md raid allows you to use any
controller you want.  So if you controller dies you can still get your
data off any machine with room for the drives.  Plus, RAID5 software
can actually be FASTER on software since the CRC parity is done on the
processor vs slower raid controller board. (I've read some controllers
can off-load that to CPU but that's not supported well in Linux)

And, software RAID can do cool stuff like odd number of RAID10 disks. :)

sV