On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 11:21 +1200, Solor Vox wrote:
> On 9 April 2010 11:07, Craig Falconer <cfalco...@totalteam.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > Nice - I saw somewhere that the likelyhood of losing a second drive
> > increases exponentially once one has failed or started erroring.
> >
> > One way to reduce that risk is to assemble the raid on drives of different
> > brands/models or different production runs.  Then again... that seagate
> > firmware bug last year affected many models/sizes
> >
> > --
> > Craig Falconer
> >

> Good point Craig, also that using linux md raid allows you to use any
> controller you want.  So if you controller dies you can still get your
> data off any machine with room for the drives.  Plus, RAID5 software
> can actually be FASTER on software since the CRC parity is done on the
> processor vs slower raid controller board. (I've read some controllers
> can off-load that to CPU but that's not supported well in Linux)
>
> And, software RAID can do cool stuff like odd number of RAID10 disks. :)
>
> sV

Only if you're careful. Many BIOSes will recognise raid controllers with
fake ( aka Windows ) raid functionality, and automagically install
support for it.

So be real careful what raid support you install in your kernel, and
which modules you blacklist.

Steve.

--
Steve Holdoway <st...@greengecko.co.nz>