I am in need of some enlightenment. What is the purpose of procmail and
how does it relate to sendmail?

I've configured sendmail to handle incoming and outgoing mail on my
Caldera 3.1 system (it's running as a webserver and a mailserver and a
workstation). I seem to have correctly configured it so that my 4 users
(wife, 2 sons, and me) all have e-mail accounts and can retrieve and
send mail and everything seems to work just swimmingly. I can also get
access to my mail via POP3 from the outside world (although, I'd rather
use a more secure method, I've run into a roadblock on configuring
secure POP3, but I suspect that should be another thread altogether).

What I want to do is filter out spam, especially for my youngest, who is
fast approaching 10 years of age (man, I'm getting old...). So, for
that, I assume that I need procmail. But, if I start using procmail,
what happens to the mail that sendmail distributes to
/var/spool/mail/<user>? Doesn't procmail process the mail and put it in
/home/<user>/mbox? Or can I control where procmail puts stuff? If I use
procmail to process the mail, can I still retrieve it via POP from the
Internet? Is there a better way to process the mail to remove spam?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Tim