Just a word to the newbies (or the oldies as well) among us, if you
don't already have a copy of the linuxcare bootable cdrom
(www.linuxcare.com), get one soonest.  It's the greatest thing since
sliced bread.  You can even download and burn it from Windows.  If you
ever reach the point where you can't boot a linux system you'll be glad
to have it.  You can boot linuxcare on just about any imaginable pc and
use it to do needed maintenance.  It even supports your lan (dhcp) and
offers lynx for browsing the web.  Probably ftp as well, but I haven't
checked that out.  If you have framebuffer support in your kernel, you
can even start X

Another thing you'll want as a part of your toolkit is a grub boot
floppy (see the SXS for that).  Yes I know LILO is preferred by many and
grub is a royal pain, but LILO is pretty much worthless in an emergency
situation, because you can't regenerate it's choices on the fly without
having everything mounted and from a runnable linux partition.

I've just spent a couple of weeks monitoring mail from Outlook, since I
had to install Win98 after the fact which predictably trashed my mbr.
Now that I found the time to do the repairs, it was quite simple:

1) boot from linuxcare.

2) mount the grub floppy and update the menu.lst.  If you've forgotten
the kernel names, you can mount those partitions to take a peek.  Grub
doesn't even care that I have some old boot stanzas from another machine
in the menu.lst.  Umount the floppy.

3) Boot a runnable linux with grub installed using the floppy (gentoo in
my case)

4) Mount the partition that is going to be constant (hda1 - Win98 in my
case), create /boot/grub directories, and copy all the /boot/grub files
to this new directory, mount the grub boot floppy and copy its menu.lst
to the new directory (or update the menu.lst as required)

5) grub, root (hd0,0), setup (hd0), quit, umount everything and reboot

6) Now you're back in business.  gentoo even adds a pretty splash screen
for grub.

6) If you take my approach (using the Windows partition for storage of
the /boot/grub files), be aware that you will need to repeat this
process if you ever defrag the Windows disk.  Whereas LILO neets to know
the exact hard coded  locations of all kernels, the only location
dependancy in grub is the location of the grub files.

Now I'm back to elx, and I don't have to suffer through Uncle Bill's
Outlook monstrosity to get mail.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
WWTLRD? - ELX rc1 with xfce and sylpheed