On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:40:27 -0700
begin  Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

[snip]

> Another thing you'll want as a part of your toolkit is a grub boot
> floppy (see the SXS for that).  Yes I know LILO is preferred by many and
> grub is a royal pain, but LILO is pretty much worthless in an emergency
> situation, because you can't regenerate it's choices on the fly without
> having everything mounted and from a runnable linux partition.

????  Not true.

> I've just spent a couple of weeks monitoring mail from Outlook, since I
> had to install Win98 after the fact which predictably trashed my mbr.
> Now that I found the time to do the repairs, it was quite simple:
>
> 1) boot from linuxcare.
>
> 2) mount the grub floppy and update the menu.lst.  If you've forgotten
> the kernel names, you can mount those partitions to take a peek.  Grub
> doesn't even care that I have some old boot stanzas from another machine
> in the menu.lst.  Umount the floppy.

you've booted up in linuxcare.  Just mount the / partition somewhere, and
the /boot partition to that if needed.  Clean up /???/etc/lilo.conf and
run /???/sbin/lilo -r /??? and reboot.

> 3) Boot a runnable linux with grub installed using the floppy (gentoo in
> my case)
>
> 4) Mount the partition that is going to be constant (hda1 - Win98 in my
> case), create /boot/grub directories, and copy all the /boot/grub files
> to this new directory, mount the grub boot floppy and copy its menu.lst
> to the new directory (or update the menu.lst as required)
>
> 5) grub, root (hd0,0), setup (hd0), quit, umount everything and reboot
>
> 6) Now you're back in business.  gentoo even adds a pretty splash screen
> for grub.

sounds unnecessarily complicated.

> 6) If you take my approach (using the Windows partition for storage of
> the /boot/grub files), be aware that you will need to repeat this
> process if you ever defrag the Windows disk.  Whereas LILO neets to know
> the exact hard coded  locations of all kernels, the only location
> dependancy in grub is the location of the grub files.

Why on earth would you:
1.  boot Linux from Windoze?
2.  allow Windoze to touch a Linux kernel?

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto
Internet (H323) phone: 206.28.187.30