Maybe your hardware is a little too new for the distro and the x server
for the video may not be available in the 2.2 .14 (if memory serves
right) kernel. One solution might to contact pcsurplus.com. They had a
sale on S3 Virge Trio 4mb video cards last week for $3.95. The S3 Trio
4mb is a close to as close to a John Q Public video card you'll find
and will run on just about everything including a match book cover with
a picture of a penguin drawn on it.