On Saturday 30 March 2002 04:17 pm, you wrote:
> On Saturday 30 March 2002 02:51 pm, Glenn Williams wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Do yourself a big favour and download and install Xfree86 4.2. Then
> run the X setup and all will be just fine.

Ted, Collins and Chris:

All good suggestions.  Thanks very much.

I can download XFree86 4.2 and install it, and give the video card
another chance.  This is probably the best course to follow.

After examining /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, I think I could edit that sucker
and come a helluva lot closer than the install program did, just by
substituting the specs from my monitor manual.  I know the video card
and monitor both support 800x600, 24 bit color SVGA non-interlaced, 72
Hz mode.

But XFree86 4.2 is the surest fix.

Keeping a copy of XF86Config after a successful shakedown, is an
excellent idea.

Thanks, all.

73 de Glenn

--
Glenn Williams - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Registered Linux User # 135678 - since 1994