[ snips ]

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:16:31 +0200 Roger Oberholtzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:> On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:12:06 -0600
> Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 20:22:21 -0400 Kurt Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:> Scribbling feverishly on April 13, Pam R managed to emit:
> > >
> > > [whack]

> > > I don't use software that evinces such an attitude, at least the
> > > third element. I hope that was written with tongue firmly in
> > > cheek...
> > >

> > I think that attitude is not really totally written tongue in
> > cheek, and it applies to the whole linus-gnu-other supporting
> > products environment.  We can all remember the glibc updates that
> > broke almost every system they touched.  There have been a few
> > linux gotchas in the 2.4.x supposedly stable release.  Now there's
> > a new one with libpng.
> >
> > the latest
> > libpng upgrade came along, which broke every X program that uses
> > libpng.
>
> Sloppy use of the linker to make libpng. One option to ld is the
> name that the library should have INTERNALLY.

Thanks for the good info.  I've taken the liberty of passing your
suggestion along verbatim (no names, of course) to the gentoo
developers.  Maybe they, too, will see the wisdom in this approach.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
Gentoo_rc6-15(1.1a) 2.4.19pre - xfce + sylpheed + mozilla