Scribbling feverishly on April 13, Collins managed to emit:
> [ snips ]

[mondo snippage]

> > Who knows.  At this point I really can't see myself spending the
> > time to go to KDE 3 so if it's fixed fine, if not fine.
> > essentially telling people that the release software is not
> > supported just won't fly.
>
> I think I rest my case.  From my standpoint, if I don't have time to
> try the current product, why should I expect the developers to spend
> time with my problem?

Why don't the developers fix the current problems before propagating
them to the next release? "It's fixed in the next release" is not
an acceptable answer -- that's camouflage for "I'd rather hack on
the neato whiz bang widget." If KDE (or GNOME, or anything else)
want to play with the big boys, they have to stabilize current
products before abandoning them for the next generation.

> Open Souce software is a very different animal than most commercial
> products (not M$, of course, just try getting an M$ bug fixed in any
> release!) especially on linux.  The supporting software (be it gtk for
> gnome or qt for kde or any of the imaging software or the print
> control software or X) is a series of amorphous, uncontrolled blobs
> that don't talk to one another when the specs change, and they do
> change frequently.

Maybe they need to rely on more stable toolsets, then. There are
plenty of huge open source apps that stay basically the same for
*years* -- XFRee86 comes to mind. There was a major architectural
change from 3.x to 4.x, and that was over two years in coming. In the
case of XFree86, though, the architectural change made the product
better, it didn't merely track the latest release of Qt, as does KDE.
It also made XFree86 smaller, faster, and better. You can't say the
same thing about KDE (or GNOME, or Enlightenement, or XFCE, or FVWM,
or...).

> kde3, IMHO, is more like version 1.0 of a commercial software product.
>   kde1 and 2 were more like extended beta versions.   kde have almost
> got the interfaces right now, so I would expect the developers to be
> more responsive in the future

We thump the hell out of Microsoft for not getting products right
until release 3.0. Why should we then exempt KDE from the same
standard of judgement?

> The other problem here is sheer size (others call it bloat).  You get
> much better response from smaller organizations like xfce.  kde has so
> many irons in the fire that just keeping all the irons warm is a
> problem.  I'm sure the same can be said for gnome.

All those irons in the fire are part of the problem. If you try to be
all things to all people, you end up satisfying no noe. Do one thing;
do it well; do it right. Or, to put it another way: Good, cheap,
fast -- pick any two.

> Well, they appear to have fixed half of the problem.  The bottom line
> is still chopped, but the top of the next page is clean.  <grin>

So, they'll fix the other half of the problem in KDE4, right? ;-)

> I'll drop out of this now.  We're not going to fix everything kde in
> this discussion.

No, but it's a fun discussion.

Kurt
--
Your nature demands love and your happiness depends on it.