On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 09:26:18AM -0400, Net Llama! wrote:
>At least i'm not alone in this frustration.  I actually submitted a bug to
>the XFCE project on sf.net about this, and Olivier offered some
>suggestions, but when they failed to fix it, he basically told me that my
>system was broken.

Something is not being built on your system, or is being placed in the
wrong directory by the install process.  The trick is to examine the output
of the build process to see where the files are going.  Xfce wants to
install with prefix=/usr, not /usr/local, and it may be a bit tricky to get
things right when moving that.

I've found that building RPMS is much easier using the Caldera mkLists
macro and perl script since it allows one to build files used in the
``%files'' section rather than manually listing them.  I'm using this with
RPM on non-Caldera systems including Red Hat, Cobalt (bastardized Red Hat),
SCO/Caldera OpenServer, and Apple OS X (darwin).  One of the biggest
advantages is that mkLists uses regular expressions to select which package
files go in and can also add prefixes like %config based on regular
expressions.  Overall it speeds the process considerably.

I spent several hours over the last two days getting xfce up and running on
OS X which required substantial tweaking to the autoconf and libtool pieces
including manually running ``./ltconfig ltmain.sh'' to get a working local
libtool script.  The final working SRPMS is available from our ftp site:
        ftp://ftp.celestial.com/pub/SRPMS/xfce-3.8.14c-3.src.rpm

Bill

Few skills are so well rewarded as the ability to convince parasites that
they are victims. -- Thomas Sowell