My questions are at the end of this letter. Most of this letter can be
skipped.

Well, finally the last windows computer in the house was taken down. It just
kept crashing. Now, my wife uses a linux box and accesses my server via the
miracle of X remote sessions. The server lets her run windows via win4lin.
Works fine if you run windows in a window and not full screen (with full
screen the thang crashes when certain pop up ads appear in aol and freezes
the computer. A reboot takes about 90 minutes.)

The tuff part was configuring XF86Config, since the setup program in
Redhat 7.1 decided to stop working and I had to configure XF86Config by hand
(gasp).

It is really not bad except for:

All those comments. You can't see the information because of all the helpful advice
cluttering up the file. All those comments can be removed, making the file
seem much more manageable. However, the really confusing part is the redundancy.
In the XF86Config file originally installed there were multiple monitor,
video device and screen sections. How is a fellow supposed to know which of
these many sections is the one used his hardware uses (my video card and monitor)
and how does one know which screen section will be used?

I solved my problem by getting rid of everything but one monitor section,
one video device section, and two screens (they had different drivers and
who knows which one I am using!). Then, I just kept trying to startx and
used the error messages on the virtual console to tell me were I was going
wrong. Trial and error.

QUESTION 1:
Could someone tell why XF86Config is so redundant and how the computer
knows which sections to use?

QUESTION 2:
Can someone tell me where the log file goes for XFree86 in Redhat 7.1?

Thanks,
Joel